<--Previous Home Next-->
STOP A POWER PLANT AND A PAPERMILL,
TWO OF THE MOST POLLUTING INDUSTRIES,
FROM COMING TO OUR COMMUNITY!
Besicorp promises jobs and tax revenues. Is it worth it?
- Besicorp will make $340 Million in revenues in the first year, but...
it will pay the City of Rensselaer only five hundred thousand dollars
in taxes for the first 4 years.
- Besicorp promises a maximum of 275 non-union jobs, (less than 30
without the papermill), but……how many will go to local residents?
choose to live in the city?
- Huge tax breaks: Hundreds of millions of dollars over 20 years
through the Rensselaer County Industrial Development Agency and
- Hundreds of trucks every day, as many as 80 truck trips per
hour, roaming through the City.
- A time-bomb: millions of gallons of fuel, ammonia and other
chemicals transported through the city and stored on site,
of spills, fires or
explosions. The City Fire Dept. is ill-equipped to respond
to a fire in a large industrial complex and assure the safety
- Over 1 Million Tons/Year of Air Pollutants, far exceeding
federal standards ﬁ more kids with asthma.
- Over 10 Million gallons/day of polluted waste water discharged
into the river.
- Noise and odors. Rotten eggs and screeching machines.
- Ruining the waterfront with smokestacks & cooling towers.
- Paving over BASF’s toxic mess.
For more information or to view photosimulations of the project, see
Eric Daillie, Project coordinator - Rensselaer County Greens. Tel: (518) 273-8970
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org