Last Chance to Say No to Besicorp!
STOP A POWER PLANT AND A PAPERMILL,
TWO OF THE MOST POLLUTING INDUSTRIES, FROM COMING TO OUR COMMUNITY!
Besicorp promises jobs and tax revenues. Is it worth it?
- Besicorp will make $340 Million in revenues in the first year, but… it will pay the City of Rensselaer only five hundred thousand dollars per year in taxes for the first 4 years.
- Besicorp promises a maximum of 275 non-union jobs, (less than 30 without the papermill), butâ¦â¦how many will go to local residents? Will workers choose to live in the city?
- Huge tax breaks: Hundreds of millions of dollars over 20 years through the Rensselaer County Industrial Development Agency and the stateâs Empire Zones.
- Hundreds of trucks every day, as many as 80 truck trips per hour, roaming through the City.
- A time-bomb: millions of gallons of fuel, ammonia and other chemicals transported through the city and stored on site, increasing risk of spills, fires or explosions. The City Fire Dept. is ill-equipped to respond to a fire in a large industrial complex and assure the safety and protection of neighbors and workers.
- Over 1 Million Tons/Year of Air Pollutants, far exceeding federal standards ï¬ more kids with asthma.
- Over 10 Million gallons/day of polluted waste water discharged into the river.
- Noise and odors. Rotten eggs and screeching machines.
- Ruining the waterfront with smokestacks & cooling towers.
- Paving over BASFâs toxic mess.
For more information or to view photosimulations of the project, see contact below.
Eric Daillie, Project coordinator – Rensselaer County Greens. Tel: (518) 273-8970 – E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org